When your feet are troubled, your whole life may be troubled. Bothersome issues with your feet can cause severe consequences if not promptly treated. Podiatrists are commonly called foot doctors, but they also treat the ankle and lower leg. They are uniquely qualified at treating foot and ankle problems. Optimal health of your feet is inextricably linked to your overall health as they support your body when standing, running, or walking. At Cleveland Foot and Ankle Consultants, Dr. Ronald Freireich, our skilled podiatrist in Beachwood and Middleburg Heights, OH, is a specialist who treats all problems with the feet and lower leg.
Why Should I See a Podiatrist?
The sooner you receive treatment for the conditions listed below, the better. Prompt treatment will prevent them from getting worse. Below are common conditions that require a consultation with a podiatrist in Beachwood, OH.
- Bunions: Bunions occur when the big toe joint dislocates, causing a bony protrusion on the inside of your foot at the base of the big toe. Bunions generally require surgery to fix the anatomy of the foot, particularly if not promptly addressed.
- Hammertoes: This condition involves an unnatural bending of the toe or toes. Hammertoes can also lead to the need for surgery to fix them if not addressed ASAP.
- Ingrown toenails: Ill-fitting shoes are the primary cause of ingrown toenails. Attention to footwear and wearing orthotics can usually adequately treat this condition.
- Neuropathy: Diabetes is a common cause of neuropathy, and needs to be addressed as soon as possible. Peripheral neuropathy occurs when nerve signals from the brain to the foot and vice versa are disrupted. This can cause severe pain, tingling, or numbness in the foot. Severe cases that have not been properly managed can lead to loss of the foot.
- Plantar Fasciitis (PF): The plantar fascia is a thick band of connective tissue that runs along the sole of your foot and provides significant support to the arch. Plantar fasciitis occurs when this band becomes inflamed and can cause significant pain and can result in your heel or on the bottom of your foot when not functioning properly,
- Trauma to the foot or ankle: Dropping a heavy object on your foot, spraining your ankle, or suffering an injury to the foot that results from another type of accident.
- Plantar warts: Viruses that live on the sole of the foot and infect it cause plantar warts. They may go away on their own, but you should see a podiatrist to ensure the complete elimination of warts and discuss further treatment, if necessary.
The above conditions do not encompass all problems in the feet, ankles, and lower legs that we treat. They are merely the most common. Treat your feet, ankles, or lower legs in Beachwood and Middleburg Heights, OH with our podiatrist team at Cleveland Foot and Ankle Consultants. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Freireich by calling (216) 591-1905. You can reach both of our locations in Beachwood or Middleburg Heights at that number.