Know when it’s time to see a professional about your foot pain.
Is foot pain impacting your daily routine? Want to be able to go on a walk, run errands or hit the gym without being in pain? Foot pain is a real nuisance, and sometimes it can signify something more serious. Here’s what you should know about foot pain, including when to turn to our Beachwood and Middleburg Heights, OH, podiatrist Dr. Ronald Freireich.
Is it time to see a podiatrist?
Minor foot pain is often just the result of a minor strain or sprain, which means that you may be able to treat the problem on your own with rest and home care; however, it’s important to recognize when your foot pain may need to be evaluated by our Beachwood, OH and Middleburg Heights, OH foot doctor. It’s time to schedule an appointment with us if,
- Your foot pain is severe
- The pain doesn’t go away or gets worse
- There is severe swelling
- The pain occurs after an accident or injury
- You develop numbness, burning, tingling or weakness in the foot
- There is a visible deformity or change in the overall shape of the foot
- Rest and home care haven’t improved your pain after a week
What causes foot pain?
There are so many conditions, injuries and disorders that can cause foot pain, so it’s always best to turn to our team for a proper evaluation. We have all the diagnostic tests in our Beachwood, OH and Middleburg Heights, OH office to figure out why you’re experiencing foot pain (and what to do about it). Common causes of foot pain include,
- Bursitis and tendonitis
- Sprains and strains
- Heel spur
- Achilles tendonitis
- Plantar fasciitis
- Bunions and hammertoes
How is foot pain treated?
To provide you with a treatment plan, Dr. Freireich needs to figure out what’s causing your pain. After all, your treatment plan is tailored to you and your issues, so not all treatment plans are the same. Some ways to ease foot pain include,
- Over-the-counter or prescription pain relievers
- Icing the foot
- Resting and avoiding high-impact activities
- Splinting or bracing the foot
- Wearing supportive and properly fitted shoes
- Wearing custom orthotics
- Steroid injections (for more severe and persistent forms of pain and swelling)
- Ultrasound or shockwave therapy
- Surgery (in rare instances)
Cleveland Foot and Ankle Consultants is your one-stop-shop for all your foot and ankle needs, whether you are dealing with foot pain or a sprained ankle. Our Beachwood and Middleburg Heights, OH, podiatrist Dr. Freireich and his team are here to provide you with the care you need. Call us today at (216) 591-1905 to schedule a consultation.